Summer is officially here, which means it’s time to fire up the grill and enjoy a lovely cookout sesh in the backyard. But grilling doesn’t have to be all about fat-laden fares like hamburgers, pulled pork sandwiches and potato salad. So, kick off this grilling season on a healthy note with these drool-worthy recipes that won’t pack on the pounds:
- Grilled Mahi-Mahi With Mango Relish: Bursting with sweet and citrusy flavors, this easy-to-make grilled mahi-mahi recipe has all the right ingredients for a fresh, summer-friendly meal. You can serve it with a hearty salad and some island rice. Or, pair it with tortillas for taco night! Get the recipe here.
- Grilled Pork Loin With White Bean Purée And Lemon Herb Vinaigrette: Picture this — creamy white bean purée, zesty and fresh lemon herb vinaigrette and juicy pork loin creating a symphony of flavors in your mouth with every bite you take. Are you drooling over your phone already? Good! Here’s the easy-to-make recipe. You might also want to try this recipe for Coriander-Rubbed Pork Chops With Fennel-Plum Salad.
- Honey Soy Grilled Salmon With Edamame: Tender salmon fillets stuffed with freshly made herb mixture, coated with sweet and sour sauce and sprinkled with crunchy sesame seeds on top make this scrumptious dish a must-have for every serious seafood connoisseur. Get the delish recipe here.
- Cajun-Spiced Grilled Tofu: All you need is some olive oil, low- sodium soy sauce, organic honey, Cajun seasoning and salt to prepare the delightfully flavorful marinade that’s the real star of this quick and healthy grilled tofu recipe. You can marinate the tofu overnight for added flavor. Serve it with fresh mint pesto or cilantro avocado sauce. Get the vegan-friendly recipe here.
- Wild Mushroom, Lentil And Olive Burgers With Cashew Garlic Sauce: Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and heart-healthy fats, this delectable vegan burger can give traditional hamburgers a run for their money. You can also throw in spinach, Dijon mustard or pickled onions as additional toppings. To make it healthier, use whole wheat burger buns. Here’s the full recipe. This Spinach And Feta Grilled Turkey Burgers recipe is also highly recommended.
- Grilled Sardines With Mint And Almonds: Inspired by traditional North African cuisine, this recipe for grilled sardines is both filling and flavorful and yet surprisingly simple. If sardines aren’t readily available, you can swap it with other fresh fish like mackerel or trout. “I prefer small fish, anything from five ounces to two pounds is perfect. I also make this recipe once a year with a whole wild salmon — just triple the sauce elements and cut deep slashes in the fish for holding the seasonings and to help it cook evenly,” suggests Andrew Zimmern, James Beard Award-winning chef and creator of this recipe. Check out the full recipe here.
- Grilled Chicken With Fruit Salsa: Fresh and citrusy marinade combined with the sweetness and crunch of fruit salsa makes this tropical grilled chicken recipe a must-have on the summer cookout menu. Get the complete recipe here.
- Grilled Apple Tossed Salad: Tender grilled apples tossed with crumbled blue cheese, fresh cilantro, crunchy walnuts and balsamic vinegar make this deliciously refreshing salad a perfect summer meal. Here’s the simple recipe. I also tried and absolutely loved this recipe for Grilled Peach Salad With Curry Pecans And Honey Vinaigrette.
- Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs: Organic summer vegetables and chicken fillets coated in a light Mediterranean-style marinade make these juicy chicken skewers an ideal dish to make for your next BBQ party or weekend cookout. Get the recipe here. If you’re looking for something vegan-friendly, check out this Grilled Moroccan Vegetable Skewers recipe.
- Citrus-Glazed Grilled Shrimp: Oozing with bright flavors of fresh orange juice and lemon and orange marmalade, this deliciously healthy recipe is perfect for summer entertaining. Serve it with grilled veggies or a light pesto pasta salad. Here’s the quick and easy recipe.